photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Personal Style, Defined: Lauren of Material Girls

Lauren Haskett is a phenomenal kitchen and bath designer who just so happens to be a fellow Houstonian and a founding member of the fabulous blog, Material Girls. I am sure you are probably already familiar with their coast-to-coast blog, but if you haven't visited in a while, be sure to check it out soon as the entire blog has been completely revamped and is easily the most visually appealing blog out there right now! Lauren is as talented as she is sweet and I am happy to call her a friend. I knew that she would be perfect for this series because she has a great sense of style when it comes to both fashion and interior design.


{Paper City February 2005; Photography by Tria Giovan; Design by: Renea Abbott}

First things first, I would like to thank Paloma for including me in this group of fabulous bloggers and designers. I am certainly in esteemed company!

My personal style has greatly evolved since the days of drooling over plaid sofas (hello, early nineties) followed by my poor rendition of Shabby Chic (no offense, Rachel). Let's just say to this day I could never, ever do a plaid sofa or plaid curtains and any piece of furniture that resembles shabby chic makes me shudder.


I've thought long and hard about how I design and what draws me to certain spaces. What did they all have in common? There are certainly some common denominators that kept popping up... neutral upholstery (preferably cream or white), animal print, lucite, modern art, fabulous old mirrors, Murano glass lamps, seagrass rugs, vintage furniture/accessories, and ALWAYS a graphic or geometric punch.


{Room by Mary McGee via Turquoise Chic}

The phrase I've come up with to define my taste is "comfortable glamour." Two words that could be argued could never co-exist in the same house. I need a room with SPARKLE, whether it be the ever-so-subtle gleam of polished nickel bath fixtures or a ginormous venetian mirror. The practical side of me says, "but wait, I need a comfortable couch that I can eat ice cream on and watch 'Real Housewives' marathons." To me, glamour and practicality must find harmony in my spaces.

{Gerrie Bremmerman via Things that Inspire}

I think you must, must, must mix the old with the new. I love that designer Gerrie Bremmerman paired blue blood antiques with the more modern Barcelona Chair. Those huge mirrors aren't too bad either...
A room full of antiques may look "expensive" or uber-traditional, but to me it's often stale and stodgy. On the other hand, a room designed with only brand new pieces from chain furniture showrooms and accessories plucked from the shelves of discount super stores has no soul.



{Room designed by Jan Showers; Photography by Ka Yeung}


It's really hard for me to pin-point why I love this living room so much. It's eclectic vibe is sophisticated but at the same time, I'm sure this room has seen it's fair share of crazy parties.


Finding personal style is all about experimentation. High risk can yield high rewards - don't be afraid of failing...my ghosts of design pasts only strengthened my decision making ability today.


Lauren, I couldn't agree more with your philosophy on personal style and interior design. I love your idea of "comfortable glamour". I think it is the look I gravitate to the most. Thank you so much for participating!

14 comments:

bananas. said...

the room by mary mcgee is beautious!

vicki archer said...

A fantastic read Paloma and I loved Lauren's words and choice of images. xv

Rebecca Corvese said...

Paloma, I love the description of your style. Any woman who uses the word ginormous is good in my book! :) Great selection of photos too!

Rachel said...

Ooh, I love this comfortable glamour style!!

Jessica said...

I love her emphasis on taking risks-- which I hear all the time in the "business" world. So good to be reminded that it translates into design and everything in life: "Finding personal style is all about experimentation. High risk can yield high rewards - don't be afraid of failing...my ghosts of design pasts only strengthened my decision making ability today."

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great post and images!

Haven and Home said...

That is a great description, I couldn't have said it better myself! Love this series!

Unknown said...

"comfortable glamour" sounds perfect to me! awesome term, lauren (and thanks to you, paloma for allowing her to share it with us!).

###### said...

I love these images. where is my domino..on to find some!

alison giese Interiors said...

Loved Lauren's post - perfect commentary to her delightful sense of style! Thank You!

Things That Inspire said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post, and the picture of Gerrie Bremermann's design really spoke to me too. More and more, the style that is really speaking to me combines the antiques with new pieces, whether they be artwork or furniture. I think it is more difficult to pull together than one would think, and I think Gerrie's new direction shows that she has a masterful eye!

Courtney said...

What a great post! I agree wholeheartedly with Lauren's words (especially mixing old with new- amen!) and I love her idea of "comfortable glamour." Beautiful rooms too.

Material Girls said...

I can attest to all the above b/c I've always admired Lauren's fantastic sense of style in fashion and in the home! And she summarized her great style to a tee! Good job L!

Lauren said...

great series!! she's got a really great hand;e on her style & love it!