photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My Favorite Room: Mark D. Sikes

'>House Beautiful

When Paloma asked me what my favorite room was in my house, it didn't take long for me to answer- the master bedroom is my favorite room in our house, and thank goodness since I'm the master of the house it's my bedroom too! I love blue anything and everything so of course I love this room. when i designed the room i wanted it to feel like I was sleeping in a cloud, and I have to say I did it! waking up in the morning is truly my favorite time of the day. I often drink my tea in bed and check email before I start my day- the room soothes, calms and delights!

Lonny

House Beautiful

I love the raoul printed linen fabric on the walls. the patterned walls are more washed out and create the backdrop for the china blue linen bed hangings and drapes. it's hard to tell from the photographs, but all the doors throughout the room are paneled with aged mirrors- the reflection of blue is everywhere! i highly recommend a canopy bed with bed hangings, there really isn't anything like it! most of the other textiles are by my friend carolina irving- for those of you that follow my blog know how much i love her fabrics! Image via Mark D. Sikes

Opposite the bed is a built-in banquette, covered in same robin's egg blue raoul fabric on the walls. this is where i often write my blog or do research. There are books and magazines always stacked around on the floor. The decorative boxes from john rosselli are filled with pens, and post-its- a truly functional space! Image via Mark D. Sikes

We always have fresh flowers in the bedroom and they are always pink- I love the hit of pink in the mostly blue room! Lonny

I love to stack, cluster and lean art in every room of my house. The master bedroom has a collection of Paris flea market drawing and sketches, michael dweck black and white photographs, and few of my favorite slim aarons photographs- the slim aarons photograph of desmond guinness and his children is my favorite! Since there is only room for a few pieces of furniture in the room they had to make an impact. The black john rosselli chinoiserie chest anchors the room. I love how this piece of furniture, along with the rush matting rug, and the art deco parchment bedside tables connects this room to the other rooms in the house- I often repeat ideas or things when designing spaces so that the house feels connected and cohesive. Lonny

Everywhere you look there are sentimental things along with things we collect.

Lonny

I think the best thing about the master bedroom is that it looks out over the gardens. Especially this time of year it is truly beautiful. The contrast of all the green outside with all the blue inside it quite amazing. You can see the rose garden, hear the fountains, listen to the birds from bed, another reason i like to spend my mornings in bed!

For more of Mark’s beautiful style, visit his blog, Mark D. Sikes: Chic People, Glamorous Places, Stylish Things.

6 comments:

Kristina said...

This room is so gorgeous! I love the colors and the four poster bed.

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

VSimmonds said...

Love looking at photos of Mark D. Sikes' home. He has such a beautiful and talented eye. Do you know if he is in need of an assistant? I live in the LA area and looking to transition my career to interior design. He would be a fantastic person to learn the ropes from.

Mary said...

I am obsessed with this bedroom! The design is so charming and relaxing. Love the blue tones throughout and the pop of pink with the flowers.

Anonymous said...

His room is a dream! So, so lovely.

Gabrielle | Savvy Home said...

Mark's favorite room in his house is like, my favorite room of all times. Sigh....

Anonymous said...

This room is gorgeous! I am in love with it and would never want to leave my bedroom!

Deana
TesoriBelle.com